The Head of Online is responsible technically and editorially for the input and output of the news website.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• To provide vision, inspiration and leadership in implementing News Online which is aligned to the Network vision and values
• Stays abreast of current trends related to projects in hand and related development initiatives
• An understanding of the editorial vision, mission and values of Aljazeera
• Actively advocates for the company, its beliefs, and its programmatic efforts and goals
• A knowledge of the broadcasting market and its associated business risks and how it impacts the channel’s presence on the region
• Participate in the editorial meeting and propose ideas on what news stories need more elaboration and content development
• Optimize reader’s rating and website traffic by evaluating user site paths and page views, increasing search engine optimization and making sure content is compelling and relevant
• Discuss with the editors articles, new ideas and the work flow
• Coordinate with the Input and Output managers for major news stories to share resources
• Have the final say on what is posted online
• Coordinate with the planning producer for news plans coverage
• Review the editorial lines of major news stories to be posted on the website
• Coordinate with Media and IT to discuss website improvements and development
• Confer with the website production staff to discuss issues such as production problems, staff Rota, budgets, policies and coverage
• Develop and follow up on the department’s budget
• Follow up and provide guidance and support to the team members
• Manage communication between the project team and other parties
• Establish and maintain key relationship with regulatory bodies and suppliers
• Acts as a liaison between the company and stakeholders of the project to build relationship
• Collects and analyses information that measures the success of the project efforts; refines or changes programs in response to that information in accordance with set guidelines and policies
• Install best practise, and a culture of openness and compliance
• Market-smart and strong networking skills
• Ability and willingness to develops future leaders within the department
• An agent of change – support change initiatives where necessary.
• Promotes a culture that reflects the organization’s values, encourages good performance, rewards productivity and addresses poor performance
• Possess a network of relationships aligned with a strong drive and good business judgement
• A well-deserved reputation in the market and demonstrable related accomplishments
• High energy, with a commitment to action and results. Persistent and committed to achieving goals.
• Outstanding collaborative skills; someone who can enthuse and inspire others towards achieving project’s goals
• Personal integrity of the highest order.
• The ability to make hard decisions and see them through at the expense of personal reputation
Over five years’ experience gained within a top-tier media or broadcast organisation, covering an accepted breadth of journalism, technical and management experience, with proven track record in News management capacity.
Academic / Education Qualification
The successful candidate is expected to have either academic or professional qualification from a recognized educational institution or professional body.
The Head of Online will have line responsibility to the Managing Director.